For those adventurous, outdoor types, here is a list of area tree farms where you can hunt for and cut your own Christmas tree.
All locations open the day after Thanksgiving
A. BROWN & SONS
7701 Salem Ave., Clayton; (937) 836-5826 or (937) 836-6445.
- Types of trees, costs: Precut Ohio-grown trees cut daily, 2 to 15 feet, all varieties. Plenty of 10- to 12-foot firs available. Spruce, pine, fir, small live trees available.
- Extras: Fresh wreaths, branches and roping.
- Hours: Opens Thanksgiving Day, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily through Christmas Eve.
- Directions: Take I-70 west to Exit 26, turn left on Hoke Road, right on Salem Avenue; tree lot is four houses down on the right or take I-70 east to Exit 26 and the tree lot is on the left as you get of the exit.
COUNTRY PINES CHRISTMAS TREE FARM
8280 W. Third St. (U.S. 35 West), New Lebanon; (937) 835-3464
- Types of trees, costs: Cut your own Scotch, white and Austrian pines, white and Norway spruce, $29. Specially marked trees, $15. Precut Douglas, Fraser and Concolor firs 6 to 12 feet, $40 and up depending on size. Live trees for replanting available.
- Extras: Saws, wagons, shaking and wrapping services available. Wreaths, garland and other natural decorations also available. Hot dogs, hot cider, hot chocolate and donuts available on weekends.
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. seven days a week
- Directions: From downtown Dayton take U.S. 35 West for approximately seven miles. Farm is on the left a mile and a half past Union road.
DEALKER'S FARM YOU CUT CHRISTMAS TREES
6520 Brantford Road; (937) 898-0891
- Types of trees, costs:Good selection of long-needled white pine and Scotch pine 6-9 feet tall; also a smaller selection of short-needled blue spruce Fraser fir 5-6 feet tall. Any size tree $32
- Extras: Baling $3
- Directions: South of Little York Road between North Dixie Drive and Peters Pike.
5376 Strawberry Court, Trotwood, (937) 264-3081 (937) 974-7745.
- Types of trees, costs: Cut your own white pines from 6 to 7 feet, $24; 7 to 8 feet, $26; 8 to 9 feet, $28, 9 to 10 feet, $30. Fresh cut pines and fir also available.
- Extras: Saws, bailing, wreaths and roping available.
- Hours: 3 to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday; 9 to 6 p.m. Saturdays; 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays
- Directions: I-70 to Hoke Road; go south on Ohio 49 and then right on Wolf Creek Pike; farm is the first drive to the left.
GOEKE & SONS CHRISTMAS TREE FARM
600 N. Preble County Line Road, West Alexandria, (937) 839-4912.
- Types of trees, costs: Cut your own Scotch and white pines, $25 Spruce and firs; $48. Precut firs, balled and burlapped trees available. Economy trees available for $18.
- Extras: Saws, rope, loading services available. Shuttle service provided. Christmas store, wreath and roping also available.
- Hours: 3 to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays
- Directions: U.S. 35 west to Preble Montgomery County Line Road; turn north. Just west of New Lebanon to Preble Montgomery County Line Road, half mile north of U.S. 35.
HILLSIDE TREE FARM
9055 Adams Road, Huber Heights, (937) 233-1617.
- Types of trees, costs: Cut your own white pines and Canaan firs, $29-$69. Precut North Carolina-grown trees, 6- to 10-foot, $29- $89; Fraser and Scotch pines, $35 and up.
- Extras: Saws and netting available. Free hot chocolate, coffee and candy canes. Tree stands, wreaths and pine roping also available.
- Hours: 4 to 6 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays; closed Sundays
- Directions: Ohio 4 north from Dayton; go west a half mile to farm on Adams Road.
RED BARN TREE FARM
990 Soldiers Home-Miamisburg Road, Miamisburg; (937) 866-7011
- Types of trees, costs: Scotch pine, white pine, Norway spruce, Fraser fir. Cut your own $25; precut $48
- Extras: Wreaths; shaking, baling and saws; free hot chocolate for kids
- Hours: 10 a.m. to dark Saturdays and Sundays; weekdays by appointment
- Directions: Take I-75 to Ohio 725 west (Dayton mall exit) Go through Miamisburg and cross over the river. Turn right on Soldiers Home-Miamisburg Road; go one mile.